Tuesday, November 10, 2009

DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST

From what I can recall about this movie, it was a very richly cultured tale of a Gullah family situated off the coast of South Carolina. The Peazant family is due to move North for what is supposed to present them with a better way of life. In leaving, they plan to leave behind all of the customs and ways of their land, which presents the conflict. The film goes on to show the ongoings of the family the day before they are to leave, complete with discussion of struggles and issues the family faces and has faced.
My issue with this film was that it was extremely boring. The colors were not at all narrative, in that most of the women wore white and the setting was a sandy white beach. During the times when the narrator (an unborn child) was presented, she too wore white but had a blue ribbon in her hair. What the color of her ribbon was supposed to represent was unclear to me. Also, there were far too many conflicts in the plot for this to have been one story. You had the contreversy of heading up North, the issue of whether or not the unborn child was concieved immorally, whatever the issue was surrounding "Yellow Mary" (for the life of me I could not figure it out), and the one daughter who wanted to remain on the island with the Native American Gentlemen. All of these issues made the already difficult to comprehend film even more difficult to comprehend.
Aside from the plotline, there were aspects of the filming itself that made the film hard to keep up with. For example, the random times the unborn child would appear were not particularly significant times within the plot. It was also not completely evident who this child was; had it not been for the character sheet that had been provided for me, I definitely would not have known who this child with the blue ribbon running in slow motion was. There were also times when random images would be displayed. For example, the girls gathered on the beach dancing intensely for no reason at all had so much emphasis on it and it confused me greatly. Instances such as these were repetitous throughout the film and threw me for a loop.
Overall I would have to say that this was not my favorite film. I wasn't extremely fond of anything about it and it is not something I would watch again or encourage anyone to go see.

No comments:

Post a Comment